Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Indiana man charged in 3 killings ordered held until tria

  • 0
Man jailed after crashing through Indiana State Prison gate

Michael Rozsa

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — An Indianapolis man charged in the killings of three people will remain jailed without bond until trial after he violated a release order by allegedly being found with guns, ammunition and marijuana, a judge ruled.

Caden Smith, 18, had been released from jail in October with an ankle monitor after a judge threw out evidence in the slayings case after finding found that detectives serving a search warrant violated his Fourth Amendment rights.

But a Marion County judge ruled Wednesday that Smith violated his pre-trial release conditions last week and will remain jailed without bond until his trial in the October 2021 shooting deaths of Joseph Thomas, 18, Michael James, 22, and Abdulla Mubarak, 17.

Smith was 16 at the time of the killings. He faces three counts each of murder and robbery, among other charges in the deaths.

Authorities said Smith was with a female friend in her brother’s house last week when detectives with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department serving a search warrant said they found marijuana, ammunition and four guns.

Smith now faces charges of dealing marijuana, visiting a common nuisance, invasion of privacy and violating his pre-trial release conditions.

Recommended for you