WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) - No. 20 Purdue got 15 first-half points from Dakota Mathias and ran away to a 115-74 season-opening victory over Southern Illinois-Edwarsville on Friday night.
Purdue (1-0) has won its last four season openers by 40, 41, 44 and 41 points.
The Boilermakers, who have appeared in 39 consecutive AP Top 25 polls, shot 59.3 percent in the first half (16 of 27) and used a 17-4 run to erase an early 10-5 deficit.
Purdue also got 16 points from sophomore guard Carsen Edwards, 16 from Isaac Haas and 14 from Vince Edwards.
SIU-Edwardsville got 17 points from guard Daniel Kinchen.
Purdue used the muscle of 7-foot-2 starting center Isaac and 7-3 redshirt freshmen Matt Haarms to deny the Cougars paths to the lane.
SIU-Edwardsville: While the Cougars are improved, their defense needs lots of work, and they lack the size to match Big Ten opponents.
Purdue: A lot to like about the Boilermakers, who have size, guard play, experience and balance. The reigning Big Ten champs could win it again.
SIU-Edwardsville: hosts Valparaiso on Wednesday.
Purdue: will host Chicago State on Sunday.
- Purdue opens season with win
- Sullivan wins season opener
- South girls open season with win
- Terre Haute South opens season with win
- Holeman leads Sullivan to season-opening win over Clay City
- TH North boys basketball opens season with win
- TH South baseball opens season with a win
- State ranked Barr-Reeve volleyball opens season with a win
- Vincennes Lincoln girls basketball opens season with a win
- Vincennes Rivet girls open season with a win