TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (AP) - Tayler Persons scored 18 points, Sean Sellers had 14 points and eight rebounds and Ball State shot 63.4 percent from the floor to beat Indiana State 93-85 on Saturday in the 133rd meeting since 1922.
Jontrell Walker and Tahjai Teague scored 13 points apiece, Francis Kiapway added 11, and the Cardinals (2-4) made 29 of 47 shots with 11 3-pointers.
The Cardinals built the lead to 15 twice early in the second half, but the Sycamores closed to 61-55 on Tyreke Key's 3-point play with 8:42 to go. Kiapway's corner 3 gave the Cardinals their largest lead at 75-57. Indiana State closed to 87-82 on an 11-3 run with 44 seconds to play on Qiydar Davis' 3, but Ball State made six free throws in the final 35 seconds to seal it.
Sellers' 3-pointer capped Ball State's opening 12-4 run, Walker's 3 made it 30-20, and the Cardinals never trailed.
Davis scored 10 points, Brenton Scott and Key had nine apiece, and Jordan Barnes made seven assists for the Sycamores (2-4).
- Ball State downs Indiana State 93-85 behind Persons, Sellers
- Indiana State downs ranked rival
- Sycamores fall at Ball State
- Ball State shocks No. 9 Notre Dame
- Ball State memorializes former South golfer
- Abi Haynes commits to Ball State
- Abi Haynes signs with Ball State
- Indiana State lands Iowa transfer
- Indiana State wins 3OT thriller
- Late TD pass lifts Missouri State past Indiana State