VERMILLION COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - It's been two days since an officer-involved shooting near Clinton, Indiana.
Police have not released the name of the officer or the suspect involved in the shooting, but community members are still concerned about the incident.
The shooting happened near State Road 163 and Hazel Bluff Road.
According to Indiana State Police, a Clinton city police officer tried to stop a suspected drunk driver.
They say the suspect drove at the officer, pinning him against his squad car.
That is when the officer reportedly shot the suspect.
Police say that person was airlifted to an Indianapolis hospital for treatment. The officer is okay.
News 10 spoke with a local woman who said she can't believe something like this could happen in such a small town.
"You kind of know people, and then when something like this happens it's just, you know, like, how does it happen in this kind of town? You know where you think everything is safe and you know then, you realize that not everything is always what it seems to be," Danielle Roseberry said.
Roseberry said many officer involved shootings can cause controversy, but she hopes people see why the officer responded the way he did.
"I think their argument is probably going to be that he fired too soon, or you know he didn't he could've jumped out of the way or done something else to prevent pulling the gun out, but I definitely think you know when your life is in danger if you were put in that position, what would you have done?"
Indiana State Police said the name of the officer and the suspect will not be released until Tuesday.
- '...not everything is always what it seems to be.' Resident reacts to weekend police action shooting near Clinton
- Resident reacts to nearby manhunt
- Police: Victim in fatal weekend train incident was female, Clinton resident
- Police investigate five weekend shootings
- Names of suspect and officer involved in weekend Vermillion County police action shooting released
- Residents react to multi-month bridge closure
- Residents react to Vincennes neighborhood evacuation
- CODA residents react to reaching fundraising goal
- ISP K9 located after running off during police-action shooting
- Sentencing on hold for man involved in police action shooting