TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Students at one local elementary school are having brighter days thanks to a little extra encouragement in a somewhat unlikely place.
There are now positive messages in the restrooms of Sugar Grove Elementary School in Terre Haute. Messages include reminders like, "Do the right thing even when no one is looking," and "Remember the lesson - forget the mistake."
PTO members helped bring the idea to life. They wanted the students to have something positive and motivational to see throughout the school day.
Principal Teresa Stuckey said teachers have commented that students are reading the messages and putting them into practice. "We just want them to feel good about themselves and to be able to spread that to others and to learn to be kind and to feel positive about themselves," Stuckey said.
Stuckey said another set of restrooms in the school will get some similar messages next summer. She also said she's grateful for PTO members and their support of students and their families.
- 'You never fail until you stop trying;' messages bring encouragement to students
- Actress Jenna Fischer encourages students during Indiana visit
- Indiana students encouraged to apply to Governor's STEM Team
- Officials encourage showing support for caregivers
- Lawsuit filed against NantWorks after failing to bring jobs to Vigo County
- ISU students trying to bring Camp Kesem to campus
- Mobile clinic brings health care to students and more
- Students effort bringing ISU back as polling location
- Two high school students bring attention to a shocking statistic