TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - As the birthplace of the Coca-Cola Bottle, people in the community decided we needed to do more.
A group of volunteers created the birthplace of the Coca-Cola bottle committee, with the help of the Vigo County Historical Society and the Wabash Valley Community Foundation.
They wanted to brand Terre Haute as a spot for tourism. In just a few months, several businesses will have a six-foot-tall bottle displayed outside their building.
Currently, the plain bottles are being transformed into works of art. Local artists like James Shepard have their brushes busy, painting the different designs.
Shepard is almost finished with his design for Baesler’s Market in Terre Haute.
There are 27 businesses or organizations participating. Each business decides how they want to paint it, designing their own piece of Terre Haute history.
“It’s neat to bring attention to Terre Haute as the birthplace of the Coca-Cola bottle. I don't think a lot of people know that, even local people,” said Shepard. “So that's kind of cool because of national exposure too.”
All 27 bottles are expected to be done this spring, where the committee with host a final reveal before the bottles land in their respective storefronts.
Spring of 2018, the committee will be making another order of bottles. If your organization is interested in promoting tourism in Terre Haute with a bottle, you can contact the Vigo County Historical Society to place an order.
Their number is (812) 235-9717.
They tell News 10 each bottle costs $2,000. If you want to hire an artist they provide, that’s an additional $500.
- World's most recognized bottle comes to life in Terre Haute
- Coca-Cola bottle born in Terre Haute
- New Coke bottle unveiled outside of Terre Haute Children's Museum
- New Terre Haute displays to celebrate the Coke bottle
- Terre Haute set to celebrate the Coke bottle this weekend
- Second annual Coca-Cola Bottle Fest held in Terre Haute
- Nationally recognized hunter makes stop in West Terre Haute
- Group working to make the Coca-Cola bottle and Terre Haute
- Sharing more than a Coke: Terre Haute Coca-Cola bottle history
- More sculpted Coca-Cola bottles will start popping up around Terre Haute