Robinson, Ill. (WTHI)-Saturday at the CrossFit Final Call Gym in Robinson some of the strongest men in the world were in town. Many of which are national competitors who came to show off their strengths and to educate.
They were there to do a log press, deadlift seminar. It was a way to kind draw out those in the community with a passion for weightlifting to Robinson Illinois.
Among those was Robinson resident Cory Brown. Since 2014 he has been lifting weights and participating in strongman competitions, but before he found this hobby, he had struggles of a different kind.
"I was a drug addict and an alcoholic and I took up the short space between my knees to the ground and asked God to take those addictions out of my life. That I couldn't do it any longer," said Brown.
That had now led him to train with some of the strongest in the world. Which included having some fun by pulling a 90-ton crane.
But his story also serves as inspiration including for Rob Kearney and Adam Derks. Both of them are participating in the world strongest man competition coming up later this year.
"Obviously it's a good thing that he found strength sports from his history with addiction and stuff. For me it's inspiring that people can find strength sports to help them through something that they're struggling with," said Derks.
Even though they compete against each other they still treat each other like family. A family that Brown hopes will continue to grow. Especially to help those who have been through the same struggles.
"I’m so healthy now. I just feel so much better than I used to and just to help improve people's lives mentally and physically," said Brown.
If you would like to learn more check out CrossFit Final Call Gym website here.
- World's strongest man competitors come to Robinson
- Competitors Learn Showmanship Skills at Fair Event
- US approves new generic competitor to EpiPen
- Robinson man sentenced for child sex crimes
- Robinson man arrested, accused of 'falsely making a terrorist threat'
- New K-9 Team Patrolling in Robinson
- Strong storms blast through Robinson Thursday
- Robinson begins work on new park
- Crews fight Wednesday night fire in Robinson
- Robinson begins using new bus barn