STREAMING NOW: Watch Now
CLOSINGS: View Closings

Woman dead, child critical after carbon monoxide poisoning

Authorities say an elderly woman is dead and a young girl was in critical condition after they apparently suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in northwestern Indiana.

Posted: Dec. 21, 2017 7:28 AM

GARY, Ind. (AP) - Authorities say an elderly woman is dead and a young girl was in critical condition after they apparently suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in northwestern Indiana.

Gary Fire Department spokesman Mark Jones says crews responded Wednesday afternoon to a home on the city's west side and found an oven was on. He says firefighters discovered high carbon monoxide readings and found two people in cardiac arrest.

Jones tells The (Northwest Indiana) Times the woman was pronounced dead at a hospital. WLS-TV reports the child was airlifted to a Chicago hospital.

Jones says the oven was apparently being used to help heat the home. The TV station reports, however, that the home had furnace problems that were being repaired.

The child was reportedly 4 or 5 years old. Names weren't immediately released.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Article Comments

Terre Haute
Clear
29° wxIcon
Hi: 41° Lo: 25°
Feels Like: 20°
Robinson
Clear
28° wxIcon
Hi: 43° Lo: 23°
Feels Like: 22°
Indianapolis
Scattered Clouds
30° wxIcon
Hi: 39° Lo: 27°
Feels Like: 18°
Rockville
Clear
29° wxIcon
Hi: 39° Lo: 25°
Feels Like: 20°
Casey
Clear
28° wxIcon
Hi: 39° Lo: 24°
Feels Like: 19°
Brazil
Clear
29° wxIcon
Hi: 40° Lo: 25°
Feels Like: 20°
Marshall
Clear
29° wxIcon
Hi: 40° Lo: 24°
Feels Like: 20°
Becoming partly sunny.
WTHI Planner
WTHI Temps

WTHI Events