TERRE HAUTE Ind. (WTHI)- It's probably happened to you, or, someone you know.
We're talking about social media hacking.
With more and more people using social media everyday, hackers are taking advantage and gaining access to people's personal information.
You may remember in October, Facebook had a data breech.
Hackers accessed personal data from 29 million accounts.
Facebook isn't the only target
Whether it be accessing bank information, credit cards or other personal accounts, it can cause major headaches to get everything sorted out.
Connor Goff is a student at Indiana State University
He said he was shocked to find out his Instagram account was hacked from somewhere in Turkey.
"My account had all of these weird advertisements coming up with different links, and nobody was clicking them obviously, because it was pretty obvious I had been hacked, but those links could have been phishing scams. They could've been to get more accounts. It could've been anything. You know other people might see it and I might not be trusted if they had been scammed using my information. It's very concerning," said Goff.
The Indiana Department of Homeland Security suggests changing account passwords often.
You should not use the same password for multiple accounts.
They said passwords should be at least eight characters long.
- 'This has made me hyper aware of my security,' local student learns importance of securing personal information after hackers get access to his social media
- WhatsApp reveals major security flaw that could let hackers access phones
- Police warn of social security scam
- ISUPD warns students about social media scam
- Additional security will be in place at Vigo County schools as students return after social media threat
- How to check what Facebook hackers accessed in your account
- Social Security checks will grow in 2019 as inflation rises
- Parke County students learn important lesson using a 'Sugar Baby'
- Protect yourself during National Cyber Security Awareness Month
- Local kids learn important lesson about helping others