VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) -- A handful of Vigo County residents stood up in front of the county council Tuesday to voice their concerns.
'I think what you saw here tonight was democracy in action the public spoke the public gave ideas and as a government teacher I love that," Councilmen Jim Mann said.
Tuesday night councilmen Mann asked for additional property to considered for the site of the jail or at least some part of the jail manufacturing
That site is first and Ohio or what was formally known as Thompson Honda.
After his motion passed the council 6 to 1 Mann received applause from the crowd.
"Wich would be perfect for a parking area if we're able to build a new facility where the current jail is and that's what I'm advocating for to me that makes the most sense," Brendan Kearns Vigo County Commissioner said.
The discussion of the jail has been going on for a little over two years now.
"It has to be done, and it needs to be done correctly," Mann said.
Mann said he thinks after the meeting they are moving in the right direction.
Both Mann and Kearns said they won't know a definite location until after the appraisals of all the property.
- 'We're getting the ball moving down the field...' County Council moves the jail one step closer
- Vincennes moves one step closer to downtown public WiFi
- Vigo county council takes next steps towards a new jail
- Moving forward with the jail project
- Vigo County is one step closer to finalizing plans for the new jail
- One step closer to breaking ground on the new Vigo County jail.
- Study shows tornado alley moving closer to Wabash Valley
- One step closer to a Convention Center
- YMCA pool one step closer to opening
- Local county one step closer to being "Stellar Community"