VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) -- The old paper plant is where the county wants to build a new jail.
Wednesday night the Area Planning Commission had the chance to give a favorable recommendation for the rezoning of the area.
The seats were full and a lot of people were there to talk about the property where the county wants to build a new jail.
One man had a list of other areas in the county where he thinks would be a better place for the jail.
One of those is right next to where the jail sits now.
The attorney speaking in favor of the jail says the problem there would be it disrupts day to day activity at City Hall and the Courthouse.
The commission gave it a favorable recommendation.
"The council has to think about the highest and best use for properties not just today but 20 years from now," Pat Goodwin said.
Everyone who spoke against the jail says the property could be put to much better use.
"There are other places for the jail and we think this represents a huge missed opportunity," Charlie Williams said.
President of the Area Planning Commission Fred Wilson said the choice of that area was well thought out.
"I think it was a well thought out thing there are certainly opinions that would like to be in different places and I understand that," Wilson said. "I think given the totality of the circumstances this is where it seems to be going"
The next decision is for the Terre Haute City Council to make Thursday night.
- 'Well, I'm disappointed, but this is just the first step...' Area Planning Commission gives favorable recommendation to rezoning for jail
- County leaders, public hears final jail recommendations
- Council approves rezoning for future condos
- Developer wants land behind Top Guns rezoned
- What's next for Riverscape after rezoning decision?
- Next step for the Vigo County jail
- County submits rezoning request, group pushes for other uses of possible jail site
- Vigo County Council committee votes to recommend 24 additional jail staffers
- Take Two: Terre Haute City Council to meet for a second time to rezone International Paper property for jail
- Rezoning eastside property discussed at Terre Haute City Council meeting