TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - The Vigo County Election Board has approved adding the Vigo County School Corporation operating referendum to the ballot for the November election.
Board members met Monday morning and gave their approval, officially creating the opportunity for taxpayers to decide on the proposed property tax increase.
The Vigo County School Board unanimously approved the measure earlier this month. VCSC says it needs a $7 million investment to address safety, health, transportation, and competitive teacher salaries. School corporation leaders plan to find $4 million in operating cuts to help.
(Graphic courtesy: Vigo County School Corporation)
This is the second referendum approved for the upcoming fall election. Earlier this year, the Election Board voted to add a referendum for the proposed Casino. Election officials had already planned on adding more vote centers to help cover the influx of county voters for the casino referendum.
LeAnna Moore is the Chief Deputy Clerk for Vigo County.
Moore said they hope these referendums will encourage more people to vote this November.
"Everyone needs to get out and vote on the referendum questions because it does impact you know Vigo County, not just the city of Terre Haute, but the entire county, so it is very important that everyone get out and vote," said Moore.
The election board also wants to make sure the referendums on the ballot are easy and clear for all voters to understand.
"We want to make sure the public understands what the referendums are for. The actual question is in code through the state, so we don't have any choice as to what the actual question is. The election board has to choose a title for those referendums," said Moore.
VCSC Superintendent Rob Haworth has said he hopes to push for a capital referendum in May of 2021.
- Voters will decide in November on Vigo County tax increase benefiting schools
- Donation benefits Vigo County park
- Proposed increase to Vigo income tax includes public safety tax
- Valentine's Day run benefits Vigo County YMCA
- Tax Payers Association endorses Vigo County Schools' Referendum
- Vigo County property tax deadline nearing
- Vigo County Council set to discuss tax increase for new jail
- After nearly five hours, Vigo County Council votes to increase income tax to fund new jail
- Vigo County Food and Beverage tax increase one step closer to reality
- Vigo County Council could vote on income tax increase for proposed new jail on Tuesday