VINCENNES, Ind. (WTHI) - Its small enough you might just miss it driving through Vincennes, but the parents who bring their kids to Flaget Elementary school every day know the effort given to each student.
"The teachers, they work so hard for our children that it’s nice to see that their efforts be recognized," said Molly Weiss who has children who attend Flaget.
The Indiana Department of Education recognized the teachers and staff at Flaget Elementary. The department named the institution a Four-Star school.
Principal Lori Wissel says it’s a title that is given when a school meets certain requirements.
"We try to keep class sizes small. In most of our classes they are between fifteen and eighteen students in each class so that's very helpful," said Wissel.
The school must get an "A" letter grade from the state while also getting exceptional results on the state ISTEP exam.
"But we try to prepare the best we can and we were very very excited to hear. It's a great honor for us to be recognized," said Wissel.
Even though the honor has to be earned again next year, the parents of these students are not concerned. They just hope to continue to grow as a school, educating each student while helping them grow as a person.
"I hope they can just carry on as they are. They raise the bar every year so that makes me feel great because i know my children are not only being educated but that they loved,” said Weiss.
This was the first time Flaget received the honor but they were not alone. If you would like to see all the four start schools named this year check out the link here.
- Vincennes school receives Four Star honors by state
- Vincennes building receives renovations
- Vincennes students displaced while school receives renovations
- Vincennes University receives artifacts donation
- Wabash Valley school receives national honors
- Clay County school receives national honors
- Clay County school receives big honors
- Vincennes school receives grants money for literacy program
- Downtown Vincennes receives money to update facades
- Vincennes University Foundation receives $4.5 million donation