VINCENNES, Ind. (WTHI)- Briana Alford is a Vincennes University graduate working for the Vincennes Community School Cooperation.
"I started at Clark Middle School as a special ED teacher and I’ve been there going on two years."
Starting next year she will step into her new role. She will be one of two guidance counselors for elementary students.
Teaching students at two of the four elementary schools in Vincennes.
"Kindness, respect, bullying so I know I’ll be working in the classrooms with the students and also students that are struggling with mental health needs or finical struggles in the family," said Alford.
Two of our elementary schools that are almost 80% free or reduced lunch. It’s a shocking number to hear.
That's why one part of their jobs will focus on social needs of the students. The other part will start getting these kids interested in life after school.
The school's director of assessment Dave Hill hopes these counselors will help inspire them about their future careers.
"We want to be able to at an earlier age start introducing our students to the importance of education. So we want them to understand that there are some interesting jobs in the community and also around the state," said Hill
It’s a step they hope will lead these students in the positive direction. That's why Alford is ready to not only help but educate these kids.
"Definitely excited for this new role though I just can’t wait to get in and get started and see what it’s going to look like to help more kids in Knox County. That's the ultimate goal," said Alford.
Both Alford and the other new guidance counselor will begin their new jobs beginning next year.
- Vincennes elementary schools getting new guidance counselors.
- Lawmaker proposing anti-discrimination bill after guidance counselor’s suspension
- No injuries reported after a fire at Vincennes elementary school
- Vincennes School Corp holds forum for Franklin Elementary parents
- Board approves guidance for Indiana graduation guidelines
- Same-sex marriage could cost Indiana Catholic school counselor job
- Trump to rescind Obama-era guidance on affirmative action
- Vincennes students displaced while school receives renovations
- Vincennes building receives renovations
- Construction closes Vincennes street