VINCENNES, Ind. (WTHI)- For six years Stephanie Latta has taught second grade here at Francis Vigo Elementary. She comes to school every day feeling safe, thanks to the school's security measures.
"I think we have a lot of steps in place and especially with this new badge system, it’s just one more added layer of protection. You know it’s just keeping the students safe and the teacher’s safe and it really makes me feel more at ease so I can do my job of teaching," said Latta.
The new system she is referencing is called safe visitor solutions. It's a program that all the Vincennes Community schools run on visitors that check-in.
To see how it works I went through the system myself. It all starts with the scanning of your driver’s license. It’s a program that Superintendent Greg Parsley says is a strong working system.
"We’re able to run a background check on them. It’s very quick. It's a national background check in addition to a check of the registered sex offender list. So we know if it's a person who can be in our schools or it’s not a person," said Parsley.
After you are cleared by the program, you'll get an id badge which is printed off for you to wear.
The school doesn’t worry about people trying to reuse the same id badges. That's because there’s a sticker that becomes clear after they expire.
"I think it’s an added layer of protection that the parents can say I feel better about at least knowing my child is not going to make contact with anybody they shouldn't during the course of these school day," said Parsley.
It’s just another precaution being done to make sure these teachers and students stay safe. Giving peace of mind so the next generation can continue to learn in peace.
"That the students can come to school and they know they are going to be safe. They know they are going to be taken care of and that we're watching out for them that we always have their backs. They are going to come to school and have nothing on their minds but learning. Just do their best every day and we can all know we are safe," said Latta.
The next security measure the Vincennes Community School Cooperation hopes to add is another school resource officer. They are hoping to have this new officer start by next year.
- Vincennes Schools now background check visitors for safety
- Trump offers support for limited effort on background checks
- Child welfare agency to launch background check portal
- Former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords to help introduce gun background check legislation
- Vincennes rotary donates check to good samaritan hospital
- Local hospitals lifting visitor restrictions
- Vincennes elementary schools getting new guidance counselors.
- Vincennes students displaced while school receives renovations
- Vincennes building receives renovations
- Construction closes Vincennes street