VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - While many colleges are dreaming of warm weather and beaches for their spring break, others are making Vigo County their vacation destination.
Students from Creighton University in Nebraska arrived in town on Saturday.
They're staying with the Sisters of Providence at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods for their spring break.
The students are learning about environmental sustainability through service and justice trip.
During their stay, students are helping out at the Providence Food Pantry and the White Violet Center.
"It would've been really relaxing to go to a beach," said Junior Demetra Arvanitakis, "but for me, it's more refreshing to go learn about something where I don't have enough time to go study in school about other things I'm passionate about, but this gives me that time to learn about it, to help out."
Students say they make the trips every fall and spring break.
- Vigo County serves as spring break destination for Nebraska college students
- Project underway to help Vigo county students prepare for college
- Off the Beaten Path: Destination Yachts
- Vigo County students celebrate Arbor Day
- Grant dollars to help Vigo County students prepare for colleges and careers
- Some beach cities are trying to make this the least fun spring break for college kids
- Crime Stoppers: Break-in at the Vigo County Annex
- Bank breaks ground on second Vigo County location
- Miss Nebraska winner of Miss USA competition
- Meteorological Spring vs. Astronomical Spring