VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Vigo County leaders have selected the location for a new Vigo County Jail facility.
On Wednesday, News 10 learned Vigo County Commissioners selected 500 West Honey Creek Drive, a former golf course near Honey Creek Mall.
Wednesday was the deadline to submit a resolution for the next county council meeting, where they will need to approve this selection.
The 22.1-acre property will cost around $518,000.
That meeting is set for May 14th.
In a release, it says: "This transaction will be contingent on the property serving as the future home of the Vigo County Security Annex with all appropriate zoning and utility service."
"Utilities were all very close. The infrastructure is there. You can shoot right up 1st Street now since the road is all cleared up. It's nice, we think it is a great location," Commissioner Brad Anderson said.
There were three potential sites for the new jail.
The other two were the former Tompson Honda Dealership near the current jail and State Road 63 and Springhill near the federal prison.
- Vigo County Commissioners select a location for new Vigo County Jail
- Vigo County has hard deadline for new jail location selection
- Vigo County Commissioners speak out again on future jail location
- Agency selected for Vigo County Jail assessment
- Vigo County Commissioners report jail assessment completed
- Update on new Vigo County jail location
- New president selected during Vigo County Commissioner meeting
- County commissioners approved preliminary design for new Vigo County jail
- No location selected yet for new Vigo County VA hospital
- Vigo County Commissioners approve jail design, $101,000 per inmate