VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Vigo County computer systems have been attacked by malware.
That's according to Vigo County Commissioner Brendan Kearns.
What is Malware?
Malware includes viruses, spyware, and other unwanted software that gets installed on your computer or mobile device without your consent. These programs can cause your device to crash, and can be used to monitor and control your online activity. They also can make your computer vulnerable to viruses and deliver unwanted or inappropriate ads. Criminals use malware to steal personal information, send spam, and commit fraud.
Kearns said this had adversely impacted operations, leaving some information not accessible.
Right now, all county departments are open, but some services may be interrupted.
County offices remained open on Tuesday, but some services were not available.
When News 10 stopped by the Vigo County Prosecutor's Office on Tuesday morning, our reporter was told the computers were down. It is not immediately clear if that is connected to this malware attack.
Rob Roberts from the prosecutor's office told us they are having minor issues, but nothing major at this time.
We visited other county offices. Staff told our reporter they were told not to make any comments to the media.
News 10 talked with Commissioners Judy Anderson and Brad Anderson.
They told us the attack caused a significant delay in work and they haven't been able to use their email.
They told us the county's IT team is working their way through 300 to 400 computers to try and resolve the issue.
Officials say if you have issues with county tax payments, call the office directly.
They said it could take days for the issues to get sorted out.
Commissioner Brendan Kearns has not commented beyond a Tuesday morning press release.
We will continue to follow this developing story and bring you more information as soon as it becomes available.
- No email and significant work delays: Vigo County Government offices crippled with malware attack
- Cyber expert Talks how to avoid malware as Vigo County government offices attacked
- Vigo County 911 operators remain calm during a malware attack
- Vigo County Sheriff's Office hit with a malware virus
- Vigo County 911 dispatchers continuing operations after malware virus attacks their computer system
- "...none of our computers would work." Prosecutor's office struggles with malware attack as judge declares a mistrial in Cunningham case
- Vigo County government offices were attacked by ransomware...what happens next?
- Virus takes out Vigo County Government computers
- New Vision for Vigo County Government Campus
- Malware hits South Knox School Corporation