TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI)- People like John Seddon love to take advantage of Vigo County's parks, like Hawthorn Park. Seddon also knows that, sadly, there are people who abuse the parks, as well as other places, with trash dumping.
"It’s so spacious here. I know the up keep's got to be difficult but I’ll try to pick something up too if I can, but yeah, don't like to see the trash," said Seddon.
Vigo County is working to crack down on these dumpers. That's after Vigo County Commissioners asked the Vigo County Solid Waste Management Board for funding.
Commissioner Brendan Kearns, who made the request, says all the funds would go towards at least 10 trail cameras. These cameras will be hard to see, but the cameras can very clearly see you.
"What I envision is we'll work with landowners to say 'hey can we set these covert cameras up and place them?' I hope that we can actually catch people in the act," said Kearns.
These places include Vigo county parks and county road properties with a history of dumping.
If suspects can be identified, the pictures would then be given to law enforcement. It's a simple idea which is even getting Terre Haute city officials interested.
"Mayor (Duke Bennett) asked for funding also in the meeting to help put some within the city so I’m very excited about this. We can actually take ideas, we get people together to support them and hopefully benefit the community as a whole," said Kearns.
Whether it is on back country roads or in the parks, people like Seddon hope it will make a difference.
"I think the parks are great, they're like jewels of the county so let’s keep them nice and this is a good step in doing so," said Seddon.
The Solid Waste Management Board approved $2,500 for all the cameras, including extra accessories for the cameras.
- Vigo County getting trail cameras to help catch those dumping trash
- Vermillion County Sheriffs Office strictly enforces trash dumping laws to keep county clean
- Vigo County Parks Department Preparing Hiking Trails for Future Park
- New York man killed in Vigo County crash involving dump truck
- A popular Vigo County bike park has designed and created accessible trails
- A new proposal would expand a bike trail from Vigo to Clay counties
- Cameras to be installed in Vigo County parks targeting litter bugs
- Local man's trail cam misses the deer, but catches a thief red handed
- Car catches fire in Vermillion County
- Sullivan County Highway dump truck crash kills one