VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - We are learning new information on the Vigo County Jail project.
County commissioners approved project bids on Tuesday morning. 13 companies are looking to work on the facility.
That brings construction costs to about $56 million.
Commissioners made about $2 million in cuts to stay within budget.
County leaders have worked on the jail project for two and a half years. Commissioners say in that time, costs have only gone up.
"We're probably talking, in construction costs...probably three to four million dollars in expenses that have gone up because of the steel...of course has gone up a lot...and then the labor costs have gone up a lot, and then the labor costs have gone up. So every time you delay something like this, it gets more and more expensive," Commissioner Brad Anderson said.
Garmong is managing construction for the project. Anderson said the company will work with and hire contractors.
The next step is the bonds for the project. Leaders say they hope is to break ground on the facility in December.
- Vigo County commissioners approve bids for new jail project
- County commissioners approved preliminary design for new Vigo County jail
- Vigo County Commissioners approve jail design, $101,000 per inmate
- Vigo County Jail project takes center stage at commissioner meeting
- Vigo County Commissioners report jail assessment completed
- Vigo County Commissioners approve ambulance contract with Trans-Care
- Commissioners approve around $2 million for Vigo County road improvements
- Vigo County Commissioners speak out again on future jail location
- Vigo County Commissioners select a location for new Vigo County Jail
- Vigo Co. Commissioners responding to community concerns over jail