VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Vigo County Sheriff's Deputies have arrested a middle schooler on drug-related charges.
According to police that middle school student is a 14-year-old girl.
It happened yesterday at West Vigo Middle School.
Deputies say they believe she had gummy candy laced with a controlled substance.
The Vigo County School Corporation told News 10 that substance was Xanax.
Somehow another student got ahold of it and ate some.
That student was taken to the hospital.
Vigo County Sheriff John Plasse told News 10 that student has been treated and released.
Police say they're also investigating the potential for other suspects being involved.
They've filed a search warrant.
Vigo County School Superintendent Rob Haworth said in a statement:
"The Vigo County School Corporation wants to reassure our students, parents, and community that we take all actions possible against those wanting to harm our youth. We are asking parents and the community to be attentive to this situation and report any suspicious activity to local law enforcement."
Sheriff Plasse says parents need to tell their kids to be extra cautious, even if something seems innocent enough.
We will continue to follow this story and bring you information as soon as it becomes available.
- "It scares me, especially for younger kids..." Xanax laced gummy candy sends West Vigo student to hospital
- Vigo County middle school student sent to the hospital after eating drug-laced gummy candy
- Vigo County Sheriff's Office and VCSC working to ensure student safety as Xanax laced candy investigation continues
- 'Hopefully parents will sleep a little better knowing these drugs are off the streets...' Guns, drugs, and Gummy Xanax found during bust
- Two of the four arrested last week an investigation that involved gummy Xanax, other drugs, and guns appear before a judge
- West Vigo student wins big in state wrestling competition
- Afternoon crash sends one to the hospital
- Double motorcycle crash sends one to hospital
- Pageant crowns new Mr. West Vigo
- Community Spotlight: The West Vigo Community Center