VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Vigo County health leaders want to fight West Nile before it becomes a threat this season.
That's why they're holding a tire amnesty period.
Tires are a prime breeding ground for mosquitoes, and mosquitoes can carry the West Nile Virus.
Officials say it's important to properly dispose of tires.
This helps reduce the spread of the virus in Vigo and other surrounding counties
The department will collect your tires between April 2nd through May 4th.
Vigo County residents can take them to the Vigo County Health Department Vector Control at 1241 7th Avenue in Terre Haute.
It's free, but they'll only take up to 10 tires.
It's by appointment only.
To make an appointment, call 812-234-9181.
- Vigo County Health Department set to hold tire amnesty
- Vigo County Health Department to hold Tire Amnesty month
- Health department offers tire amnesty program to combat mosquitoes
- Vigo County Health Department Protects Against West Nile Virus
- Vigo County Highway Department Prepares for Winter
- Auction supports various Vigo County departments
- Indiana lawmakers considering property tax amnesty period
- Indiana traffic fine amnesty program under consideration
- Vigo County releases 2017 Annual Health Report
- Set-up begins for Vigo County Fair