TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - It looks like at least some in Vigo County government favor an increase to the local income tax to fund the construction of a new county jail. An ordinance has been drafted that calls for a .55% increase to the local income tax rate.
-.10% would be used to fund E-911 services
-.20% has been earmarked for correctional & rehabilitation facilities
-.25% is what's called a special purpose tax
The Vigo County Council will host a public hearing at the county annex building on August 1st. The council could vote on the tax increase on August 15th.
Commissioner Judy Anderson told us this .55% increase in the local income tax rate is the lowest possible rate increase they can pass and still build a new jail. However, county leaders have yet to pinpoint a location for a new jail.
- Vigo County Council set to discuss tax increase for new jail
- After nearly five hours, Vigo County Council votes to increase income tax to fund new jail
- Vigo County Council could vote on income tax increase for proposed new jail on Tuesday
- Vigo County Council discusses 2020 budget
- Knox County council passes jail tax
- Vigo County leaders discuss proposed food and beverage tax
- Vigo county council takes next steps towards a new jail
- Knox County considers local income tax increase for jail
- Proposed increase to Vigo income tax includes public safety tax
- Vote on Vigo County tax; new jail in mind