VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - County leaders are making progress in addressing issues at the Vigo County Jail.
On Thursday night, Vigo County Council members voted to recommend 24 additional jail staffers.
News 10 spoke with county leaders who told us that's how many jailers are needed to adequately care for inmates.
The Vigo County Council Budget Committee made a favorable recommendation to bring that number before the full council.
Now, the full council will have to vote to hire them.
Vigo County leaders have to give a report to the judge on progress on November 6th and then have to appear again on November 13th.
The hearing was originally scheduled to happen in Terre Haute but has been moved to Indianapolis.
- Vigo County Council committee votes to recommend 24 additional jail staffers
- Vigo County opens additional early voting centers
- County leaders, public hears final jail recommendations
- Vigo County Council approves funds to hire 24 new jail staff members
- Vigo County Council could vote on income tax increase for proposed new jail on Tuesday
- After nearly five hours, Vigo County Council votes to increase income tax to fund new jail
- Vigo County Council approves new jail location with a 5-2 vote
- City council could soon take up rezoning vote for the proposed Vigo County jail site
- Vigo county council takes next steps towards a new jail
- Vote on Vigo County tax; new jail in mind