VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Vigo County leaders have approved a location for the new Vigo County Jail.
It happened during a Vigo County Council meeting Tuesday night at the Annex.
A few weeks ago, Vigo County Commissioners chose the site on part of the former Stu's Gold Course, near the sewage treatment plant and movie theater, behind Honey Creek Mall.
That site had to be approved by the county council before any purchase could be made.
After an hour of public comment and about an hour discussing it, the council voted to approve this location with a five to two vote.
Council members Lisa Spence-Bunnett and Chris Switzer both voted against.
- Vigo County Council approves new jail location with a 5-2 vote
- Update on new Vigo County jail location
- The vote is in: Terre Haute City Council approved the rezoning for a new jail location
- Terre Haute City Council hears rezoning proposal for potential Vigo County Jail location
- County commissioners approved preliminary design for new Vigo County jail
- 21 voting centers approved for Vigo County, including one located on campus of Indiana State University
- ISU approved, Honey Creek Mall added: Election board green lights Vigo County voting locations
- Vigo County Commissioners speak out again on future jail location
- Vigo County leaders making progress in jail location search
- The search continues for a new Vigo County jail location