VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - The Vigo County Council has approved the funds to hire 24 new staffers for the Vigo County Jail.
It happened at a meeting on Monday evening.
The council voted unanimously to approve the new staff members in a special call meeting.
This comes after a recommendation from the council's budget committee last week.
News 10 spoke with council member Mike Morris.
He told us there is money that was not used in the 2018 budget.
That money will be used to pay for the staffers this year.
For 2019, leaders hope to use money from the public safety portion of the new Vigo County tax increase.
"I think the whole council was caught off guard by the severity of the court order by the federal judge. That just didn't leave any doubt in anybody's mind that we have to make these decisions," Morris said.
Officials say the new jail staffers were necessary to deal with overcrowding issues.
A federal judge ordered the council to have a timeline by November 6th for the overcrowding issues in the jail.
- Vigo County Council approves funds to hire 24 new jail staff members
- Vigo County 4-H Council craft bazaar helps fund member scholarships
- Vigo County Parks Department hopes to hire new staff
- Vigo County Council committee votes to recommend 24 additional jail staffers
- City council approves convention center funding plan
- County commissioners approved preliminary design for new Vigo County jail
- Vigo County Council approves more jail staffing to address federal lawsuit
- Vigo County Council approves new jail location with a 5-2 vote
- After nearly five hours, Vigo County Council votes to increase income tax to fund new jail
- Efforts continue to Spruce Up Sportland, county council approves funding