VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - The new Vigo County Jail took a step towards becoming a reality.
On Tuesday, Vigo County Commissioners approved a preliminary design for the jail.
The approval came after a presentation by Garmong Construction and DLZ.
They approved a design for a 494-bed jail that's inside a 131,000 square foot facility.
Garmong estimates jail construction costs are about $101,000 per inmate, costing $57 million.
Each cell will be surrounded by steel and pre-fabricated.
Skylights will meet the natural light requirements.
It will also use video visitation, cutting down the cost of moving inmates.
The design includes three entrances...one for the public, one for the staff, and the last one for inmate intake.
The design is based on the jail being built at the former International Paper property.
The construction timeline is expected to last 30 months.
Next month, Terre Haute City Council will vote for a rezoning request by the county.
- Vigo County Commissioners approve jail design, $101,000 per inmate
- County commissioners approved preliminary design for new Vigo County jail
- Vigo County Commissioners report jail assessment completed
- Vigo County Commissioners approve ambulance contract with Trans-Care
- Vigo County Commissioners speak out again on future jail location
- Vigo County Commissioner talks about opioid lawsuit
- Former Vigo County commissioner behind bars...again
- Vigo Co. Commissioners responding to community concerns over jail
- Vigo County Commissioners are looking for a new site for a proposed jail
- Design approved for Indiana University international center