VERMILLION COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - An Illinois man who led police on a chase through two states is now in custody.
Police arrested Jeremiah Smith. According to Vermillion County Indiana Sheriff Mike Phelps, the chase started Thursday in Vermilion County Illinois.
Phelps says it carried into Vermillion County, Indiana then south. He says they eventually lost smith and called off the chase.
Police say he may have also stolen a truck in Cayuga. Sheriff Phelps says the chase picked back up in Vermillion County Illinois on Friday.
Phelps says Smith ran from police, stole another car, and eventually wrecked in Iroquois County.
Phelps says Smith had to be rescued from a river after he jumped in it. He was taken to the hospital. He helps says he was on parole and possibly armed.
- Vermillion County deputies aid in search for fugitive
- Vermillion County Election Results
- Vermillion County represented in NASDAQ
- Vermillion County Cleanup fast approaching
- Vermillion County fair activities underway
- Vermillion County school health aide arrested, accused of stealing prescription medication from an elementary student
- Vermillion Co. Deputies arrest man on trespassing and drug charges
- Car catches fire in Vermillion County
- Operation Pullover arrest in Vermillion County
- Vermillion County Fair Prepares for Hot Weekend