VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - The Vigo County School Corporation will open the Aquatic Center to the public.
The announcement came at a Monday night Vigo County School Board meeting.
"We just simply went to the aquatic center and started looking for opportunities for how we could bring some swimming to our community," Superintendent Dr. Rob Haworth said.
Officials say the plan is to open the pool to the public for lap swim three times per week.
One of those times will probably be Sunday afternoons.
The decision to open the pool comes after the Vigo County YMCA closed their pool earlier this year.
"We'll start very small. We're thinking 3 days a week with some hours and then if we see that there is a need we'll expand on those hours," Haworth said. "We want to do our fair share and when the Y fell on some hard times how can we step in and help."
He says they want to help the community in any way they can, but the students and school functions will come first.
"It's a school facility, you can't go to the gym and go shoot baskets whenever you want to in one of our high schools," He said.
They are expecting to announce the dates they will start allowing the lap swim to the public in January.
They do expect to charge a small fee to use the pool.
That number hasn't been officially set yet, but they're thinking $5.
- VCSC to open the Aquatic Center for public lap swim three times a week
- School corporation announces cost and times for public swim at Aquatic Center
- Work begins on Aquatic Center parking spaces
- Public input needed in VCSC superintendent search
- Public hearing set to discuss new VCSC superintendent's contract
- First in series of VCSC public meetings happens on Thursday
- Now hiring: VCSC looking for public relations or marketing person
- VCSC holds community listening session
- Veterans, rookies to turn laps for Indianapolis 500 practice
- Neighborhood parking problems lead to the approval of more spots at Aquatic Center