TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - The Vigo County School board will meet in executive session on Tuesday. That's when board members are expected to meet with a member of the University Placement Team. This is the team who will help the school board hire its first superintendent in 20 years.
On Monday, Dr. Danny Tanoos announced he will step down as superintendent on July 1, retiring from the school corporation on December 31st. Board President Jackie Lower told News 10 the following day they will hire his replacement by that July 1st date. Lower also told us about the selection of the University Placement Team to help the board in its search for Tanoos's replacement.
Dr. Terry McDaniel of Indiana State University is a member of the University Replacement Team. McDaniel sat down with News 10 on Wednesday morning to talk more about who they are and what they do. He said ISU is one of four universities represented on the team, which includes a member from Indiana University, Purdue University and Ball State University. McDaniel told us the team formed in 1960 as a means of helping school corporations in the state to land the best superintendent candidates.
Most superintendents who work in Indiana received their superintendent's training at one of these four universities. In fact, McDaniel said 43% of the state's superintendents came through Indiana State University's program.
"The four of us have been superintendents," McDaniel said. "So, we've either worked with these people as fellow superintendents, or they've been through our training program."
Dr. McDaniel spent 28 years in the Spencer-Owen School District as both a principal and superintendent. Typically, he spends initial meetings with school boards setting up the application process, timeline and getting the position posted on-line.
"We will accept the applications for them," Dr. McDaniel explained. "We do that because it's better for us to take them in and seperated from the school board so they're not pressured about who's applying."
Dr. McDaniel expects the Vigo County job to be popular among applicants. Once the application deadline passes, McDaniel will reach out to each of the applicants.
"I'll review the internet to look and see what I can find about these candidates," Dr. McDaniel explained. "Of course, my colleagues and I will talk about what we know about each of the candidates."
Dr. McDaniel confirms this will be a national search, though he expects most candidates will come from Indiana and the rest of the Midwest.
- University Placement Team to meet with Vigo School Board on Tuesday
- School board hires University Placement Team for superintendent search
- Brick placement ceremony honors local veterans
- School lawsuit on agenda for Vigo County School Board
- First public meeting on Tuesday about Vigo County Jail future
- Vigo County School Board approves raises for returning teachers
- Superintendent Haworth weighs in on Tanoos developments, school board to meet again Tuesday
- THFD stresses the importance of smoke detector placement
- As investigation implicates Vigo County School Board, most board members fail to respond to News 10
- Faith-based groups meet with the Vigo County School Corporation