INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A 24-year-old father died after trying to rescue his 3-year-old daughter from a retention pond at an apartment complex near Castleton.
Just before 4:45 p.m. Sunday, authorities were dispatched to the Core Riverbend Apartments, located in the 8800 block of Algeciras Drive, on the report of a vehicle in a pond.
IFD said the father, identified as Anthony Burgess Jr., was parked and his car was running. His daughter somehow got into the car and backed it into the pond. Burgess reportedly jumped in right away, along with two bystanders, to save the girl.
At 4:47 p.m., the first firefighters on the scene confirmed the girl was pulled out of the water but Burgess remained submerged. The 3-year-old was taken to Riley Hospital for Children at IU Health around 4:55 P.M.
At 5:06 p.m., divers pulled Burgess out of the water. He was reportedly in the water for at least 19 minutes.
CPR was administered and Burgess was transported to St. Vincent in critical condition. IFD said Burgess died from his injuries late Sunday night.
Witnesses told authorities Burgess and a friend noticed the car was in the pond and dove in. Neither knew how to swim.
Burgess was able to pull his daughter out of the car and a bystander, who also dove in to help, got the girl to safety. The girl was in critical but stable condition at Riley.
IFD said the actions of bystanders and witnesses helped. The temperature of the water was 35 degrees at the time of the incident.
Divers located the car about 25 feet down and 50 feet out from the shore. They will return Monday to retrieve it from the water.
- Father who attempted to rescue his child from Castleton pond has died; daughter still critical
- Indianapolis man dies trying to rescue dog from icy pond
- Police investigating attempted child abduction
- Father speaks for first time 30 years after daughter's murder
- Autopsy completed for body found in pond
- Dugger man found dead in private pond
- Father sues Indiana child services over son’s death
- Woman dead, child critical after carbon monoxide poisoning
- Worker dies, another critically wounded after shooting outside elementary school
- Police: Boone County father killed son and daughter before taking his own life