VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A settlement in a class action lawsuit against Vigo County will give thousands to a former inmate.
That settlement came down Monday in a federal courtroom in Terre Haute. News 10 first told you about the lawsuit more than a year ago.
Jauston Huerta will get $12,500 dollars from the county. That's after he sued for damages from overcrowding while he was at the Vigo County Jail.
News 10 spoke to Huerta after he filed suit while he was at the Putnam County Correctional Facility. He said the overpopulation problem was dangerous to him and other inmates. The suit has served as one of the sparks to get the county looking for a new jail location.
A federal judge has ruled the county must fix the problem. Monday, both Huerta and another plaintiff got a settlement. Lloyd Thomas received just under $30,000 dollars.
The plaintiffs' attorney, Michael Sutherlin, told News 10 he believes this development gives the judge more authority to pressure Vigo County to come up with a solution.
Right now, the county is in the process of buying property for a new jail.
- Two settle their lawsuit with the Vigo County jail
- Vigo County gets extension in jail lawsuit
- Motion filed to add ACLU to Vigo County Jail lawsuit
- Vigo County Commissioner talks about opioid lawsuit
- Agency selected for Vigo County Jail assessment
- Study underway at the Vigo County Jail
- Vigo County Commissioners report jail assessment completed
- Deadline placed for Vigo County Jail update
- Next step for the Vigo County jail
- Vigo County Jail update status hearing canceled