TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Nearly two in five Americans are obese.
The epidemic has medical and economic costs that top $1 trillion.
That's why Union Hospital welcomed Dr. Sandeep Gupta to campus.
He's a professor at the College of Medicine for the University of Illinois.
He spoke about obesity's impacts on people and society.
He called it a man-made problem that requires man-made solutions.
"Many of us see this in our daily lives, at work, at school, in our community, at church, that obesity...we cannot escape it. What I want us to do is empower each other and try to help solve this problem," Dr. Gupta said.
Besides eating better, he also recommends getting 60 minutes of exercise daily.
- Two in Five American's are obese, doctor visits Union Hospital to talk about a solution
- Union Hospital/Union Health officially make deal with Care Source
- CareSource reaches agreement with Union Hospital
- New administration at Union Hospital - Clinton
- Union Hospital hosts Children's Classic Run
- Union Hospital shows off new surgical technology
- Union Hospital hosts American Red Cross Blood Drive, here's how you can still help
- Childhood obesity: America's 'true national crisis' measured state by state
- New guidelines for kids released to help combat obesity
- Report: Indiana's obesity rate is continuing to increase