INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WTHI) - Not one, but two bills that would locate a casino in Terre Hate have passed the Indiana Senate.
On Tuesday, Senate Bills 66 and 552 were passed, now moving them to the House.
Leaders who are working to bring a casino to Terre Haute were happy with the outcome of the vote, but say the real work begins, as the bills face tougher opposition in the Indiana House.
The two bills were among the 53 considered in the Indiana Senate on Tuesday.
Senators Mark Messmer and Jon Ford addressed their colleagues on Senate Bill 552.
This bill would legalize sports gambling, plus move both gaming licenses in Gary, Indiana.
One would move inland within the Gary city limits and the other would move to Terre Haute.
"The Vigo County location would allow for a competitive process for the other existing casino owners to participate in or allow the existing license holder to move there in a competitive fashion," Senator Mark Messmer said.
To allow other casino owners in the state to compete, this bill removes the two casino limit operators currently have.
Right now, Spectacle Entertainment owns the Gary licenses.
Terre Haute businessman Greg Gibson is a partner with that company.
Senate Bill 66 does not require a competitive process for that license that would move to Terre Haute.
- Two bills that would bring a casino to Terre Haute passes in Indiana Senate, the House is next
- Senate Bill 552 passes 10-0, a step that could bring a casino to Terre Haute
- Bill that would bring a casino to Terre Haute has passed the Indiana House, here's what's next
- Casino bill heads to full Indiana House
- Hearing set for next week on Senate Bill 552, the bill that would bring a casino to Terre Haute
- Vigo County Commissioners support bringing casino to Terre Haute
- Hearing set for bill that could bring casino to Terre Haute
- State Bill involving Terre Haute's possible casino goes to the Senate on Tuesday
- Indiana casino bill moves to House Public Policy Committee
- Indiana Gaming Commission approves casino sale, make a Terre Haute casino one step closer