VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A severe child abuse case landed a Vigo County couple behind bars.
Scott Edwards faces charges of aggravated battery and neglect of a dependent.
Back on January 14th, a young child was taken to Union Hospital.
That's according to court documents.
Police, DCS, and emergency room staff say the child had a split tongue, several bruises, and other injuries.
That child was later transported to Riley Hospital in Indianapolis.
While there, hospital staff determined an object, most likely scissors, were used to split the child's tongue.
Doctors said the bruises were inflicted and not accidental.
Police say the mother, Holly Cota, left the child in Edwards' care.
Cota is also facing charges of obstruction of justice in this case.
Documents show she lied to officials about how the injuries happened to her child.
Edwards remains in jail on $75,000 bond.
Cota has been released, with her next hearing taking place on Friday.
- Two charged in connection to severe child abuse case, child's tongue split with what appeared to be scissors
- No decision made on bail for man accused of splitting toddler's tongue with what appeared to be scissors
- Two face additional charges in connection to severe child abuse case
- 'I am appalled. I am disgusted. My heart hurts.' Longtime family friend talks to News 10 after officials say 14-month-old's tongue split with scissors
- Raising awareness for child abuse
- Indiana child welfare agency calls for ending child abuse
- Pinwheels planted for Child Abuse Prevention Month
- Four arrested in connection to child neglect case in Clay County
- Terre Haute man sentenced in connection to a child death case
- Woman arrested on charges of child exploitation