Photo Gallery 17 Images
EDGAR COUNTY, Ill. (WTHI) - A Terre Haute man was arrested over the weekend after police report he entered the Edgar County Sheriff’s Department heavily armed claiming to be a law enforcement officer.
The incident started on Saturday morning just before 10 when Justin A. Hefner approached the window inside the sheriff’s department.
Hefner stated that he was an officer with the Department of Defense and was asking to speak with an officer. Officials report Hefner was wearing an outer vest with a badge partly covered and a holster with part of the pistol showing.
When further questioned, Hefner stated he was a federal officer with the Department of Defense and that he was in Edgar County to arrest people in Paris.
Before entering the jail, Hefner was asked to follow protocol and leave his weapon along with removing his vest. Police discovered that his outer vest had ½ inch plates inside and that he also had a second bullet proof vest on.
Deputies requested assistance from Paris Police Department and they were able to take Hefner into custody once all of his armor and weapons were removed.
When searching his vehicle, police located another badge, large package of zip ties, duct tape, an AR15 equipped with optics, a bump stock, quick magazine release and a bi-pod. They also found a 100 round, fully loaded drum magazine with several 30 round magazines.
Police also report that the vehicle Hefner was driving had flashing lights in it as well as a police dash cam.
“Deputies found he had a page on Facebook – where he expressed his plans on who he was targeting in Edgar County and Paris,” a press release from the Edgar County Sheriff’s Department stated.
Hefner was arrested for impersonating a public officer, unlawful use of a weapon and unlawful possession of body armor.
His bond has been set at $20,000 and the Edgar County Sheriff reports the FBI and Homeland Security have been notified.
News 10 spoke with the Edgar County Sheriff and those who were involved with Hefner’s arrest. We will have more on this story, tonight on News 10.
- Terre Haute man arrested after entering Edgar County Sheriff's Dept. heavily armed, claiming to be federal agent
- Terre Haute man who entered Edgar County Sheriff's Office heavily armed officially charged
- Terre Haute man dies in Edgar County motorcycle accident
- Edgar County Manhunt Ends
- Terre Haute man sentenced after entering a guilty plea
- Terre Haute man accused of murder enters a plea
- Three arrested in connection to Terre Haute armed robbery
- Terre Haute couple arrested for federal and state drug charges
- Terre Haute man arrested after overnight pursuit
- Terre Haute man arrested on rape charges