STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Terre Haute Firefighter suffers frostbite during early morning blaze

It happened around 2:00 Thursday morning in the 2700 Block of Wilson Drive.

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 4:40 PM
Updated: Jan 31, 2019 5:54 PM

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - We are learning more about an overnight house fire.

It happened around 2:00 Thursday morning in the 2700 Block of Wilson Drive.

That's on Terre Haute's east side.

Crews told us the flames spread to the attic...and it was most likely caused by a heater malfunction.

Storm Team 10 said the temperature at that hour was a bone-chilling 0 and down to negative 10 with the windchill.

We note that because a firefighter battling the blaze was taken to the hospital for frostbite.

He has since been treated and released.

The fire was ruled accidental.

Article Comments

Terre Haute
Broken Clouds
75° wxIcon
Hi: 94° Lo: 77°
Feels Like: 75°
Robinson
Scattered Clouds
73° wxIcon
Hi: 92° Lo: 76°
Feels Like: 73°
Indianapolis
Few Clouds
76° wxIcon
Hi: 94° Lo: 76°
Feels Like: 76°
Rockville
Broken Clouds
75° wxIcon
Hi: 93° Lo: 76°
Feels Like: 75°
Casey
Clear
74° wxIcon
Hi: 93° Lo: 76°
Feels Like: 74°
Brazil
Broken Clouds
75° wxIcon
Hi: 92° Lo: 76°
Feels Like: 75°
Marshall
Broken Clouds
75° wxIcon
Hi: 93° Lo: 76°
Feels Like: 75°
EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING
WTHI Planner
WTHI Temps
WTHI Radar

Latest Video

Image

Wes Kirk

Image

THJTA

Image

Junior Golf

Image

Mitch Hannahs

Image

Wednesday Late Forecast

Image

The Amazing Race? Sullivan County's sheriff races homing pigeon for 4H Fair

Image

Group works to bring two endangered insects back to Illinois

Image

Sullivan organization working on grant to improve the downtown area

Image

Brazil man charged with having a sexual relationship with a young girl

Image

Police find over two pounds of meth, other drugs, and guns during bust

WTHI Events