Terre Haute Firefighter suffers frostbite during early morning blaze

It happened around 2:00 Thursday morning in the 2700 Block of Wilson Drive.

Posted: Jan 31, 2019 4:40 PM
Updated: Jan 31, 2019 5:54 PM

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - We are learning more about an overnight house fire.

It happened around 2:00 Thursday morning in the 2700 Block of Wilson Drive.

That's on Terre Haute's east side.

Crews told us the flames spread to the attic...and it was most likely caused by a heater malfunction.

Storm Team 10 said the temperature at that hour was a bone-chilling 0 and down to negative 10 with the windchill.

We note that because a firefighter battling the blaze was taken to the hospital for frostbite.

He has since been treated and released.

The fire was ruled accidental.

Article Comments

Terre Haute
Broken Clouds
28° wxIcon
Hi: 31° Lo: 21°
Feels Like: 21°
Robinson
Clear
29° wxIcon
Hi: 29° Lo: 21°
Feels Like: 21°
Indianapolis
Overcast
27° wxIcon
Hi: 29° Lo: 23°
Feels Like: 16°
Rockville
Broken Clouds
28° wxIcon
Hi: 28° Lo: 20°
Feels Like: 21°
Casey
Clear
27° wxIcon
Hi: 26° Lo: 20°
Feels Like: 17°
Brazil
Broken Clouds
28° wxIcon
Hi: 31° Lo: 22°
Feels Like: 21°
Marshall
Broken Clouds
28° wxIcon
Hi: 30° Lo: 20°
Feels Like: 21°
Cold, but Not as Cold
WTHI Planner
WTHI Temps
WTHI Radar

WTHI Events