TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Terre Haute city leaders are discussing a possible rezoning for the new Vigo County Jail.
The Terre Haute City Council heard the reading for the rezoning proposal for the first time during Thursday's meeting.
Last week, the Vigo County Area Planning approved the rezoning for the property at 500 West Honey Creek Drive, behind Honey Creek Mall.
Many people in the community stepped up to voice their opinions and why they think the council should vote against this location.
"I want a reasonably sized jail. I agree there needs to be a new jail, but I think it can be smaller. I think it can be done in a sustainable manner and I think that it can be done in a smarter manner," Mike Gordon, a long time Vigo County resident said.
Gordon was just one of dozens who stood up and voiced their opinions to the council on the jail. They all have a lot of questions for county leaders in charge of this jail location.
"Number one, a clear understanding about what the current commissioners, and it's only two commissioners who are proposing this, what they are proposing and how much it's going to cost and how we're going to pay for it on a sustainable level," Gordon said.
They did not vote tonight, which means they will vote at their meeting in August.
Terre Haute City Council President Martha Crossen said she has no idea what's going to happen at that meeting in August. But she wants to take the time and sit down with county leaders and others form the public to talk about some of the concerns people have and try to get some answers.
"I think it's been one of the missing pieces in this process. Everybody's talking around it, but we haven't really talked very much to each other and so I would like, if possible, to get some of us together," Crossen said.
- Terre Haute City Council hears rezoning proposal for potential Vigo County Jail location
- Terre Haute City Council approved the rezoning for a new jail location
- The vote is in: Terre Haute City Council approved the rezoning for a new jail location
- Rezoning request for proposed new jail site in Terre Haute City Council's hands
- Two Terre Haute City Council members question county zoning process for potential jail location
- City council could soon take up rezoning vote for the proposed Vigo County jail site
- Rezoning eastside property discussed at Terre Haute City Council meeting
- Group encourages Terre Haute residents to speak out against a proposed new jail location at city council meeting
- Take Two: Terre Haute City Council to meet for a second time to rezone International Paper property for jail
- Vigo County leaders approve rezoning for new jail property