TERRE HAUTE, Ind (WTHI) - A Terre Haute North Vigo High School student has been arrested for threatening other students on Snapchat.
Terre Haute Police arrested 18-year-old Tyler Keith on a felony count of Intimidation.
Prosecutor Terry Modesitt says this case is absolutely a felony case. According to court documents filed in the case, Keith posted a picture of himself on Snapchat pointing a handgun at the camera.
On the barrel of the gun read the message "good luck on your finals." Final exams at Vigo County High Schools started Wednesday.
Modesitt said he's in favor of these cases being charged as felonies.
"With everything going on across the country to start with, something like this can cause havoc in a school or somewhere else as far as everything that someone is really thinking about doing this," Modesitt explained.
Keith's case is set for trial in August.
Prior to the hearing, he had been released on his own recognizance. He's to stay off of social media and away from firearms.
- THN student arrested for making threats on Snapchat
- THN students advocate for walkout instead of assembly
- North Putnam student arrested after allegedly making threat against high school
- Robinson man arrested, accused of 'falsely making a terrorist threat'
- Caller behind THN bomb threat hoax gets 2 years in juvy prison
- THN math teacher running for State Representative
- Adult education student arrested after allegedly claiming he had a gun, making a threat at Terre Haute North
- Snapchat stock loses $1.3 billion after Kylie Jenner's tweet
- Snapchat is trying to help potential voters get registered
- Special Response Team makes arrest