TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Smoke detectors can keep you and your family safe during an emergency, but the Terre Haute Fire Department says that's only when they are used correctly.
They say the kitchen is not a good place for a smoke alarm.
Instead, they should be placed outside or inside of your bedroom, on every floor, in your basement, and in your attics.
If you don't own a smoke detector, that's an easy fix.
An organization called "Protect the Precious" collects donations to make sure every fire department has those resources available.
If you need a smoke detector, you can stop by any Terre Haute Fire Department.
- THFD stresses the importance of smoke detector placement
- THFD accepting job applications
- Vincennes Fire Department offers smoke detectors
- THFD shopping for new ambulances
- THFD holds live fire training
- Local jail stresses the importance of preventing flu outbreak
- Indiana gets $521K grant for statewide smoke detector push
- Brick placement ceremony honors local veterans
- THFD works to become more energy efficient
- THFD receives a grant worth about $284,000