VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Syrup producers at Prairie Creek Park have been harvesting sap from trees for the past several weeks and now it's time to bring that sap inside to make syrup.
Syrup producers at Prairie Creek park say they've been having a great year so far.
"Well we had a pretty good day yesterday we made 38 gallons. And today I'm not sure what we've got so far the guys are in there bottling now but I think we've had another good run. We like to shoot for 100 gallons and I think we'll make our mark this year" syrup producer Mark Wiggins says.
Syrup producers say gathering the sap and making the syrup is an all-day job with several steps.
"We're running through a machine out there in the back and it takes out a percentage of the water and then we'll run it through the evaporator and then just boil it down and then you got your sugar content and that's syrup," Wiggins says.
Why is this maple syrup season so good for the Wabash Valley? Producers say it all has to do with the weather.
"The weather's been just about right. Mid 40's to just below freezing is really good for sap flow and so far this year we've really had some good runs" Wiggins says.
Producers say have been working into the night to bottle syrup they've collected from the park.
"As long as that sap's flowing we'll be here," Wiggins says.
If you want to know how syrup is made you can witness it first hand at Prairie Creek Park for the next couple of weeks. Syrup from the park is available to purchase at Prairie Creek Park and at the Annex building in Terre Haute.
- Syrup producers now making syrup at area park
- Syrup production underway at area park
- Prairie Creek Park Prepares for Syrup Production
- Vigo County Parks Department Making Syrup At Prairie Creek Park
- Baby cough syrup is recalled after bacterial contamination
- Area parks preparing for camping season
- West Terre Haute Area Parks Get Upgrades
- Local store holds special produce sale
- ‘Simpsons’ producers pull iconic Michael Jackson episode
- Parke County deputies make arrest in dog starvation death investigation