INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WTHI) - Did you know the first-ever action by the Indiana General Assembly was to ban the sale of alcoholic beverages on Sundays?
It took the Hoosier state 202 years, but the ban is finally lifted.
News media from across the state jammed into Governor Eric Holcomb's office on Wednesday as he signed the bill.
"Let's do this..." Holcomb said.
You got a sense Governor Holcomb knew he was making history putting pen to paper of a bill that opens carryout sales of alcohol for Hoosiers.
State Representative Clyde Kersey supported this bill.
"I think it's time Indiana join the rest of the states in the United States in having Sunday alcohol sales. I think most people in my district supported it."
Kersey said past Sunday alcohol sales bills failed, in part, because they were littered with amendments with other issues. Lawmakers called this bill that Governor Holcomb signed "a clean bill" as it had no such amendments.
"The fact it was a clean bill had a lot to do with it. Because there was nothing else in there."
Also, after years of lobbying and posturing, lawmakers were able to strike a compromise between liquor stores and retailers.
Carryout sales of alcohol will be limited on Sundays from 12 to 8 p.m.
In Kersey's 22 years, he never thought he'd see this day.
"It’s like most bills. You start off with a bill and you take out all of the extraneous parts and then you get support and then more support and you come up with a clean bill that everyone can support."
Mark your calendars, March 4 of 2018 at 12 p.m. (EST) the first time in more than two centuries Hoosiers will be able to make a carryout purchase of alcohol on a Sunday.
- Sunday alcohol sales now legal in Indiana
- Indiana law on Sunday carryout alcohol sale likely to change
- Indiana Sunday alcohol sales bill could take effect sooner
- Indiana Senate approves carryout Sunday alcohol sales bill
- Senate committee taking up Sunday alcohol sales, cold beer bills
- House committee approves Sunday alcohol sales bill in 12-1 vote
- House committee advances Sunday alcohol sales bill in 9-1 vote
- Paris liquor stores seeing positive results for Sunday alcohol sales
- Locals reflect on first year of having Sunday alcohol sales
- A bill is in the works to allow Sunday alcohol sales in Indiana