SULLIVAN, Ind. (WTHI) - Sullivan County leaders are taking steps to improve the county's jail.
It is struggling with overcrowding.
Sullivan County Commissioners had their regular meeting on Monday night.
During that meeting, Elevatus Architecture presented its plan for a new jail.
Elevatus was the architecture for the Clay County jail along with an expansion to the US Penitentiary in Terre Haute.
Two other architects presented their ideas in previous meetings.
The sheriff and commissioners have been touring jails across Indiana, looking for the best answer to their overcrowding problem.
They are looking to build a jail with about 180 beds, or possibly expand the current one.
The next hurdle would be how they plan to pay for the new facility.
Commissioners and county council members are working together on a plan.
- Sullivan County leaders hear proposal for new jail
- County leaders, public hears final jail recommendations
- Sullivan County exploring jail options
- Sullivan County leaders exploring options for jail project
- Sullivan County now suffering from jail overcrowding
- Sullivan County Jail at 200 percent capacity, leaders meet to discuss solution
- Sullivan County Ambulance update
- Sullivan County Road Closure
- Jail bond phone scam circulates in Sullivan County
- Vigo County leaders discuss proposed food and beverage tax