SULLIVAN COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A Wabash Valley deputy is being hailed as a hero, and it wasn't because of the uniform he wears.
Sullivan County Deputy Carl Melchert was actually working off-duty as a school resource officer.
That's when he noticed a 5th grader choking.
Instincts kicked in and Melchert performed the Heimlich Maneuver.
The student had a piece of carrot lodged in his throat.
- Sullivan County deputy saves 5th grader while working as resource officer
- Local 5th grader raises money to help kids battling cancer
- Vigo County 5th graders learn how to better take care of the environment in field trip
- Sullivan County 3rd graders step outside of the classroom for Ag Day
- Sullivan County Ambulance update
- Sullivan County Road Closure
- Sullivan County Election Results
- Nearly 100 Sullivan County kids learn life-saving lesson
- Community reacts to new School Resource Officer
- Vigo County school resource officers gear up for new year