SULLIVAN COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A Wabash Valley deputy is being hailed as a hero, and it wasn't because of the uniform he wears.
Sullivan County Deputy Carl Melchert was actually working off-duty as a school resource officer.
That's when he noticed a 5th grader choking.
Instincts kicked in and Melchert performed the Heimlich Maneuver.
The student had a piece of carrot lodged in his throat.
- Sullivan County deputy saves 5th grader while working as resource officer
- Local 5th grader raises money to help kids battling cancer
- Sullivan County Ambulance update
- Nearly 100 Sullivan County kids learn life-saving lesson
- Vigo County school resource officers gear up for new year
- Community reacts to new School Resource Officer
- Tractor stolen in Sullivan County
- Fire destroys Sullivan County diner
- Sullivan County Sheriff's Office looking for wanted sex offender
- Local second graders make a cuddly donation