WEST TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - West Vigo Elementary School will be closed on Friday.
That's after school leaders issued an evacuation Thursday afternoon when around 10 students experienced coughing and eye irritation.
School officials say their symptoms cleared up after they were able to be outside for a few minutes.
Bill Riley with the Vigo County School Corporation told us you can never be too careful when it comes to student's safety.
"When you have a handful of students that are complaining about the same symptoms, we know that we need to start thinking about student's safety," said Riley.
School staff, firefighters, and Vectren have all run tests on the school and have not been able to figure out what caused the issues.
West Vigo Elementary School students will go to Sugar Creek Consolidated on Friday.
Riley said bus riders will be picked up and dropped off as normal. Kids that walk to school should walk to West Vigo Elementary, where they will be shuttled to Consolidated. Parents that drive their kids to school should drop them off at Consolidated.
Riley told News 10 Vectren, the West Terre Haute Fire Department, and staff are and will work on finding the issue.
"We want to continue to monitor the situation and make sure that West Vigo Elementary is a safe building to be in," said Riley.
We will continue to keep you updated.
- West Vigo Elementary closed Friday - crews unsure what caused around 10 students to have eye irritation, coughing
- Irritated skin, burning eyes, and nose, coughing, and shortness of breath...health officials talks discusses Eastern Greene HAZMAT incident
- Vigo County School Corporation learns what caused West Vigo Elementary evacuation
- School corporation still trying to figure out what caused health concerns at West Vigo Elementary
- Students clear to return to West Vigo Elementary classrooms after last month's evacuation
- Students head back to West Vigo Elementary after discovering mold: How mold impacts your health
- Navigating Cough and Cold Medicines
- Crews battle fire Friday evening in West Terre Haute
- Work wraps up on Vigo Elementary school
- Telehealth offered at Vigo Elementary in Vincennes