VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) -- Vigo County Commissioners hope to have a selection for a new Vigo County Jail within two weeks, according to the latest status report filed in court on Friday.
It says county leaders are still considering three sites. Those include at Prairieton Road and Springhill Drive, and 2900 South State Road 63, and a former car dealership property which is adjacent to the Vigo County government campus.
The update says Commissioners have received two appraisals for the Prairieton Road and Springhill Drive and 2900 South State Road 63 sites. The appraisal for the property at 1st and Ohio Streets is expected early next week. The paperwork says within two weeks, a new site will be selected.
After the Commissioners make a decision, the Council will schedule a special meeting in early May to consider the resolution.
Friday's filing also covers updates on jail staffing and inmate recreation time, two topics outlined in a federal judge's order.
The document says candidates have been interviewed for full-time and part-time correctional officer positions, but there are still openings that have not been filled. The Sheriff's Office will continue to advertise for the positions.
The report notes the Sheriff's Office believes starting salaries may be part of the issue, but that the work environment is the primary reason more correctional officers have not been hired.
- Status report: Commissioners to select new jail site within two weeks
- Vigo County Commissioners report jail assessment completed
- Commissioners still searching for new jail location site
- Vigo County Commissioners select a location for new Vigo County Jail
- Vigo County Commissioners are looking for a new site for a proposed jail
- Agency selected for Vigo County Jail assessment
- New president selected during Vigo County Commissioner meeting
- Vigo County has hard deadline for new jail location selection
- Vigo Co. Commissioners responding to community concerns over jail
- Vigo County Commissioners speak out again on future jail location