KNOX COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI)- JW Linenburg is just like your average 6-year-old. He loves school and playing whenever he gets the chance but he suffers from seizures on a regular basis due to a birth defect.
"He has epilepsy due to scaring on his brain that's always been there. It’s just the way his brain developed but we didn't realize he had any of these problems until he was four," said JW’s mother, Savannah Linenburg.
JW may have to have brain surgery in Cleveland in the upcoming weeks. That’s why some of his teachers like Abby Linneweber decided to start up a few fundraisers among the students.
"We have to do something else. We need more. I said your right we do. She said t-shirt fundraiser and I said yes. She said penny war and I said yes. She said school-wide and I said yes let’s do it," said Linneweber.
Since Monday students have raised thousands of dollars between penny wars and t-shirt sales as well. Many of the students have taken fundraising into their own hands to do whatever they can to help JW in his time of need.
"These kids are bringing in their piggy banks, they're bringing in checks from businesses that they've gone to. We have some fifth-grade girls who have made bracelets and I think they've made four hundred dollars," said Linneweber.
Even though the fundraiser ends Friday JW's teachers and his parents are so happy to have all the love and support from these students. A sign of caring and compassion that JW and his parents are thankful for.
"We tell him every day that he is a very loved little boy by many and I hope that he from this whole experience that he can take that away that so many people care about him and that it creates a generous heart in him as well,” said Savannah Linenburg.
Now we won't disclose the exact amount of money raised from the school's efforts because the school still wants to surprise JW’s family and the students. If you would like to donate to the school towards JW’s cause please reach out the South Knox Elementary School.
You can call them at (812) 743-2591 or check out their website here.
- South Knox school holds fundraisers for fellow student in need
- South Knox Elem. students raise almost $11,000 for fellow student
- South Knox renovations near completion
- Local group holds fundraiser for CODA
- Knox County library to hold active shooter training for staff
- Leaders in Knox County hold State of the County address
- Make A Difference: Saving a life at South Knox High School
- Local students write letters for a fundraiser
- South Vermillion community holds Veterans Day program
- Sullivan community holds fundraiser for victims of fatal house fire