TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Shots were fired in the 2100 block of 4th Avenue in Terre Haute Tuesday afternoon.
Police were called to 2123 4th Avenue as a new possible location for the suspect connected to the deadly shooting and standoff.
News 10's Lacey Clifton was interviewing Indiana State Police at the time. She says when listening back to the interview she counted nine shots.
Our crew heard police say "suspect down" before moving in and then calling medical to the scene. News 10's Jon Swaner reports Medic 7 was on scene and then Medic 8 and Engine 3 left the scene without transporting anyone.
Then just after 12:30 p.m. Indiana State Police confirmed that the suspect shot was the same involved in the fatal Putnam Street shooting and the 20+ hour standoff on 1st Avenue. ISP confirms the suspect is dead.
Indiana State Police reported the suspect made threatening acts toward the officers which lead to the shooting.
"We received a lot of information from acquaintances and people that had talked to him that this is exactly what he wanted, a shootout with police," Terre Haute Police Chief John Plasse stated. "That's unfortunate that that is what he wanted because now we have guys that have to deal with that."
During a press conference at the Terre Haute Police Department, officials report the suspect had made it out of the 1st Avenue home around 12:10 a.m. on Tuesday in the rain. Police report he was wearing body armor. Plasse stated gaps in the perimeter may have been why the suspect was able to escape the home on 1st Avenue.
In that press conference, Terre Haute Police Chief John Plasse said a victim identified the alleged shooter as Mikey Reynolds.
We are told authorities say they are waiting on positive identification.
Officials believe the suspect fired up to 200 rounds at police during the standoff.
This is a developing story and will be updated when information becomes available.
- Police: Victim identified Avenue standoff shooter as Mikey Reynolds
- Police identify officers that fired fatal shots at Mikey Reynolds
- How did accused shooter Mikey Reynolds escape the police perimeter? We asked THPD's chief
- Prosecutor's office to release findings on Mikey Reynolds police action shooting this week
- Avenue standoff still under state police investigation
- "We have to be better than this..." Chief John Plasse on Mikey Reynolds escape
- Police identify suspect involved in 22nd and Sycamore standoff
- Police identify suspect involved in three-hour Terre Haute standoff
- Police identify victim in deadly Vincennes shooting