WASHINGTON (AP) - Senator, war hero and GOP presidential candidate John McCain has died.
His office says McCain died Saturday.
He had battled brain cancer.
The longtime Arizona senator was known as a maverick whose rebellious streak extended from his days as a POW in North Vietnam to his time in the Senate.
Senator McCain was 81 years old.
- Senator John McCain dies at 81
- Sen. John McCain discontinuing treatment for brain cancer, family says
- Sen. John McCain’s family cries over flag-draped casket
- John McCain honored at Washington National Cathedral memorial service
- Former Arizona U.S. Sen. Jon Kyl to replace John McCain
- White House drafted a statement on John McCain but never released it
- John McCain's 106-year-old mother expected to attend memorial services in DC, Maryland
- Vigo ranks 81 out of 92 counties in health outcomes
- Versatile race-car driver John Andretti dies at 56
- After surviving 81 days as Syrian rebel prisoner, photojournalist speaks in Terre Haute