INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WTTV) — Hoosiers are expected to be able to buy alcohol on Sundays, as early as the beginning of March, after a Senate vote Thursday afternoon.
The Senate concurred with changes to Senate Bill 1 with a vote of 38-10 just two days after it passed the House, sending it to Gov. Eric Holcomb’s desk for final approval. Gov. Holcomb says he “won’t let too many Sundays pass” before signing the bill, according to the Associated Press.
SB 1 allows Sunday alcohol sales from noon to 8 p.m. at grocery stores, package liquor stores, convenience stores, drug stores and restaurants for the first time since prohibition. Sales could start as soon as March 4 due to an amendment making it a law as soon as it’s signed.
The Indiana Association of Beverage Retailers Chairman says small business package liquor stores have been preparing for this change by updating work schedules and preparing to hire, train and license new employees.
Indiana Association of Beverage Retailers Chairman Jon Sinder issued this statement:
The Indiana Association of Beverage Retailers congratulates the Indiana State Senate for voting today to concur with Senate Bill 1 which will send this historic piece of legislation to the Governor’s desk. This is only the latest milestone in the long legislative process that we expect to end with Hoosiers being able to purchase alcohol for carryout on Sunday for the first time since prohibition.
We would especially like to commend Chairman Ben Smaltz and Chairman Ron Alting for their work in shepherding this landmark bill through the Indiana General Assembly and we appreciate Governor Eric Holcomb who has indicated his intention to sign it into law.
Indiana’s small business package liquor stores have been preparing for this outcome for months by updating work schedules and if needed hiring, training and licensing new employees that reach the highest standards of safety as required by Indiana law. Indiana’s neighborhood package liquor stores have been responsible merchants of alcohol products since 1933 and we will be ready to open our doors on Sundays for the first time. We are eager to welcome our loyal customers.
- Sunday alcohol sales bill makes it to Gov. Holcomb’s desk to be signed into law
- House passes Sunday alcohol sales bill, leaving one remaining hurdle before getting to governor’s desk
- Holcomb signs bill allowing Indiana sale of CBD oil
- Indiana law on Sunday carryout alcohol sale likely to change
- Senate committee taking up Sunday alcohol sales, cold beer bills
- Indiana Senate approves carryout Sunday alcohol sales bill
- House committee approves Sunday alcohol sales bill in 12-1 vote
- House committee advances Sunday alcohol sales bill in 9-1 vote
- Indiana Sunday alcohol sales bill could take effect sooner
- Holcomb signs bill strengthening 'stand your ground' law